The Real Way To Make Bacon Salt
You love bacon. You put bacon in every recipe you can right? Well, have you ever tried bacon salt? You can use bacon salt anywhere you would use normal salt and it will add the wonderful bacon flavor your looking for! (insert drooling and slobbering here)
When we first attempted making this – we failed. We failed enough times to perfect it so that you can enjoy it without the disappointment and waste of bacon. Now we are going to let you in on the super simple secrets of making bacon salt! Have we said bacon salt enough times to make you hungry?
This recipe has some powerful flavors so when you add it to your food, use it sparingly or throw caution to the wind and just go for it. Your out there canoeing, hiking and adventuring your ass off, so you need to put the salt back in you anyways.
Here is what you will need: (Feel free to adjust the recipe however you like for more or less salt or bacon according to your taste.)
- 1 Package of bacon – Any kind… use whatever you normally eat.
- 3/4 cup of Sea Salt (Regular salt will work if you want to dial down the salt taste. )
- Frying pan, food processor (or sword), container for your bacon salt.
All natural baby… two ingredients. Seems simple right? Here are the steps to make it.
(Important Hint: When it comes time to let you bacon cool – Really try to get all the grease off. If you don’t you will get a wet bacon salt which isn’t good.)
- In a frying pan, fry up your bacon – all of it. The entire package! (Yes our recipe has a full portion of bacon because we’re men and we like bacon) This is the only time you want to cook your bacon to a crisp. Not burnt, just nice and crispy.
- Once your bacon is about 3/4 cooked. remove it from the pan momentarily, while you drain the grease from the pan. Return bacon to the pan to finish cooking it. You don’t want greasy bacon for this…. AT ALL.
- Allow the bacon to cool and pat it dry to remove as much grease as you can.
- Once cool, throw all that bacon into the food processor (or chop the hell out of it like a ninja – Must use a sword to retain manliness). Process it up into tiny bacon bits.
- Add your sea salt to the food processor – 3/4 cup of sea salt should do it.
- Pulse for an extra second or two just to mix the salt and bacon evenly.
Note: As with all of our recipes, try adding in some whiskey or beer to the last part of the bacon cooking for an added taste!
If you make this correctly, this stuff will last forever. You can take a small container of this stuff with you on your camping trips and add it to your meals for non stop bacon. Sooooo good, enjoy it.
If you decide to make it, let us know what you think of it in the comments below. If you still fail after reading this… let us know we’ll put some in our shop for you to buy. :) Because we’re good people.