ManFood: Underground Chicken!
Now this is a new one even for us. This is the “Hold my beer and watch this” of camp cooking! You’ve cooked in the backcountry before, on the camp stove, over the coals of a hot campfire, maybe even with a blow torch but have your ever cooked underground? Try this out on your next camping trip. This method is especially useful for those worried about wildlife in the area smelling the deliciousness of your dinner while your cooking it. Underground Chicken What you’ll need:
- 4 Chicken Breasts (Butterflied)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons garlic salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper (Or more if you like the spice!)
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- Optional – We through in some left over cheese into the middle of the chicken for the hell of it…
The How To (Just guidelines… never instructions)
- Butterfly the chicken breast if you haven’t already (cut it in half lengthwise, almost all the way through… so you can open up the chicken breast)
- Place a little garlic, oregano and cracked pepper inside the chicken (toss in the cheese here if you are using it)
- Rub the chicken breast down with the vegetable oil and coat with the remaining oregano, garlic salt and pepper.
- Toss in a splash of whatever your drinking (Spiced Whiskey is nice! )
- Wrap in securely in aluminum foil
- Repeat for each chicken breast.
- Dig a hole in the ground about a foot deep. Big enough to hold all the pieces of chicken in foil.
- Place a layer of hot coals from your campfire to line the bottom of the hole and cover that with 1/2 of dirt.
- Place the foiled foul in the hole and bury it!
- Drink, fish, hunt, have a cigar…. go on doing your thing….
- Leave it for about 3-4 hours – Don’t forget where you buried it.
- Dig it up and check to make sure it is cooked properly (add more coals and rebury if needed)
Just to add to it.. about 45 minutes before you think the chick is done…
- take a few baking potatoes and make several slices 3/4 through the potato, add some butter, chives, cheese or whatever you like
- Wrap in foil
- Toss into the side of the fire to cook.
Dig everything out and you should have an amazing meal with a some showmanship of your wilderness skills 🙂 Make sure someone else has to do to do the dishes since you cooked.